The 2019 National Science Foundation (NSF) Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG), NSF 19-1, will be effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after January 28, 2019.
NSF recently held a webinar to discuss the updated PAPPG, and has posted the slides and a video recording of the presentation at https://nsfgrantsconferences.com/pappg-webinar-19/.
Significant changes to the PAPPG include the following points, in addition to numerous other clarifications and changes throughout the document:
- Users should follow on-screen instructions on Research.gov if the PAPPG directions differ.
- A description of the work to be performed by any subaward(s) must be included in the project description.
- The Synergistic Activities section of the NSF biosketch should include up to five distinct examples (not categories) that demonstrate the broader impacts of the individual’s professional and scholarly activities that focuses on the integration and transfer of knowledge as well as its creation.
- Participant Support guidance makes clear that speakers are not ‘participants’, and clarifies that participant support costs may not be budgeted to cover room rental fees, catering costs, supplies, etc. related to an NSF-sponsored conference.
- NSF programs that accept proposals at any time may have guidelines in which a declined proposal is ineligible for resubmission for a specified period of time.
The NSF Checklist page on the researchadmin website has been updated to include a 19-1 version of the checklist.