ERA Award Modifications – PI Review Pending
As a reminder, the Award Management Team is unable to process ERA Award Modifications in “PI Review” status. It has come to our attention that many department-initiated Award Modifications are currently stuck in “PI Review”. AMT is working to review each of these modifications and will work with the RA to move them forward over the next couple days. Going forward, Award Management Team will be reviewing this queue monthly to make sure they do not get stuck.
To help units ensure Award Change Requests are processed in a timely manner, we want to provide the guidance below:
RA Dashboard in ERA
RAs can access their Dashboard in ERA by clicking the Grants tab, then the Dashboard tab. The Dashboard has three useful tabs to help units track the progress of Award Modifications:
- My Inbox: Under this tab, scroll down to the section labeled “Award Modifications.” This section will only show modifications requiring action by the RA. For example, award modifications in “Draft” status will show up here to remind the RA that the modification needs to be completed.
- My Modifications: Under this tab, you will see all award modifications for which you are listed as the “RA Owner” regardless of the state of the modification. To see which of your modifications are currently in “PI Review” simply filter by “Status” as shown below:
- All Modifications: Under this tab, you will see all award modifications for all units in ERA regardless of the state of the modification, RA owner or lead financial unit. To see which modifications are currently in “PI Review” for your unit simply filter by “Status” and “Lead Financial Unit” as shown below:
Award Modifications When PI Has Left the University
With the exception of Investigator Allocation Changes, the Award Management Team is able to initiate award modifications that bypass “PI Review” if the PI has left the university. Please contact your Award Change AMT GCO for next steps.
We are also working on a solution to address unit-initiated modifications stuck in “PI Review” after the PI has left the university.
Investigator Allocation Changes When PI and/or Other Senior Key Personnel Has Left the University
As Investigator Allocation Changes are an internal process to ASU without direct impact on the award, AMT is unable to initiate this type of modification in ERA. However, if changes to PI and/or Other Senior Key Personnel require a change to Investigator Allocations, RAs are advised to first submit an Award Change Request to update personnel on the project. If the departed personnel is the Award PI, refer to the section above and contact your Award Change AMT GCO.
Once the award modification for the personnel change has been processed, RAs can move forward with Investigator Allocation Change in ERA. To update the allocations for departed personnel RAs should take the following steps:
- Initiate an Award Change Request from the impacted award.
- Complete the required fields on the “Award Modification Request” tab making sure to capture the following information:
- On Question 4.0 select the “Investigator Allocation Change (IAC)” option.”
- On Question 5.0 enter the following statement “Investigator Allocation Change needed to remove allocations for Investigator [First Name Last Name] who departed ASU on [Date]”.
- Click Continue
- On the “Lead Unit Investigator Allocations” tab:
- Update the End Date of the current allocation period to the last day of the month on which the investigator left the university.
- Click the Add bottom located on the right side of the screen to all a new allocation period.
- On the new allocation period, update the Start Date to first day of the month following the investigator’s departure from the university
- On the new allocation period, update the End Date to the last day of the month in which the award is set to end.
- Under the new allocation period, update the departed investigator’s allocations for REC, RID and IIA to 0%.
- Click Finish
- From the Award Change Request workspace, click on the “Submit For IAC Review” to open the list of required approvers.
- From the list of reviewers, click the “Update” button located next to the departed investigator.
- Check the box “Mark this reviewer for deletion”
- Click OK to close the reviewers window.
- Click OK again to start the approval process.