December 10, 2021 – NIH has updated the NIH biosketch format and other support format page for application due dates and RPPR submissions on/after January 25, 2022.
RAs/Units should alert their NIH investigators to this new requirement. An email template that RAs can tailor and send to their faculty is available HERE.
Units should begin preparing for these new requirements. Managers/supervisors will need to review requirements and unit-level processes with RA staff members.
The new Other Support requirements are outlined in the table below, however RAs should also review the new biosketch format. These changes may require additional time on the part of the RA and investigators.
RAs and investigators are also strongly encouraged to watch NIH’s recent Commitment Transparency presentation: Video, PowerPoint.
NIH requires disclosure of all resources made available to a researcher in support of and/or related to any of their research endeavors, regardless of whether they have monetary value and regardless of whether the resources are connected to ASU and/or the researchers affiliation with ASU.
A copy of this summary table can also be downloaded HERE
ON OR AFTER
JANUARY 25, 2022
|Follow the format and instructions outlined in NIH guidance.
|Use of SciENcv to generate Other Support
Note: NIH anticipates the SciENcv template for Other Support will be available beginning in FY 2022.
||Not required (optional when SciENcv template made available)
|Disclose ALL active* and pending sources of Other Support, including:
- Sponsored projects/proposals (including projects not routed through ASU’s ERA system and/or those conducted as part of a non-ASU appointment)
- **External consulting, when an investigator will be involved in the design, conduct, or reporting of research as part of the consulting activities (e.g., work that may result in publication in an academic journal, designing a protocol, data analysis, serving on a steering committee for a clinical trial)
- **In-kind (i.e., non-monetary) resources that meet all the following criteria:
- Are not publicly/widely available, and
- Were provided by a non-ASU entity (either domestic or foreign), and
- Were provided in the past three years, and
- Are not being used on the proposed project, and
- Aside from the proposed project, are being actively used in support of any of an investigator’s other research endeavors.
**See Internal (ASU) Conflict of Interest Disclosures section below.
*NIH does not require disclosure of recently completed support, only current and pending resources.
- In-kind resources include, but are not limited to:
- Personnel (e.g., visiting scholars, visiting students, supported by a non-ASU entity)
- Note: In-kind resources intended for use on the proposed project should be included as part of the 'Facilities and Other Resources' or 'Equipment' section of the application and not 'Other Support'
(split into separate sections for sponsored projects/proposals and in-kind resources)
|Active/pending sponsored project total award amount
Note: For subawards, only the total subaward amount needs to be included
(Direct + Indirect)
|All investigators required to submit Other Support must also electronically sign their respective documents using the Adobe Sign service or similar.
RA/Unit are responsible for maintaining supporting documentation to reasonably authenticate that the appropriate individual signed the form. Recipients must make the documentation available upon request in accordance with 45 CFR Part 75.364. Units are encouraged to store this documentation in a shared location, rather than in an individual’s Outlook folders.
- A typed name is not an electronic signature and is not acceptable.
- Wet (ink) signatures are not acceptable.
|Flatten Other Support PDFs after signature.
|Supporting documentation in the form of English-language versions of any foreign contracts, grants or any other agreements specific to senior/key-personnel foreign appointments, affiliations, and/or employment with an institution or entity outside the U.S.*
Note: Google translations, or similar, are acceptable but certified translations may be required upon request.
Copies will need to be provided by the individual investigator, and must be provided as part of the PDF following the Other Support format page.
*See Internal (ASU) Conflict of Interest Disclosures section below.
NIH requires researchers to provide foreign contracts, grants or any other agreements specific to senior/key-personnel foreign appointments, affiliations, and/or employment with a foreign institution. Copies must be provided as part of the PDF following the Other Support format page.
||Required, if applicable
|Immediately notify KE Research Operations of undisclosed Other Support (i.e., information that was missing from a proposal at Just-In-Time (JIT) or a Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR) submitted on/after January 25).- Pre-Award: For proposals that have not been awarded yet, the RA should use the Notify PNT activity on the ERA Funding Proposal (FP) to route any updated Other Support documents to the Proposal GCO for submission to NIH.
- Post-Award: If an investigator or RA/Unit discover that something needs to be added/disclosed on an NIH Other Support, the RA should immediately send an updated Other Support document to their AMT Fiscal Reporting GCO and remind investigators to update their disclosure profile in ERA MyDisclosures as may be required. ASU must submit the update within 30 days of becoming aware of the non-disclosure, so do not wait until the next RPPR.
Note: The updated format page and instructions must be used for all Other Support submissions, including both competing applications and the RPPR. There are no longer separate instructions for competing applications and the RPPR.
||Required, if applicable
Federal regulations, University policies and state law require researchers (individuals responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of research) to disclose significant financial (RSP 206) or business interests (ACD 204-08) which, due to their relationship to research or other scholarly activities, could give rise to a real or perceived financial conflict of interest. Per ACD 204-08, investigators, including subrecipient investigators, must disclose any and all domestic or foreign, public or private, organization from which an investigator or relative has a substantial interest. Regarding foreign interests, disclosures shall include financial interests received from a foreign institution of higher education or the government of another country (which includes local, provincial, or equivalent).
For information on how to disclose a financial relationship in the Enterprise Research Administration system, visit our research integrity website at https://researchintegrity.asu.edu/coi/disclosure-process.
When a faculty member submits a department form for any type of consulting activities, appointments, business interests, etc., Unit/RA should forward the information and/or copy [email protected] so that conflict of interest personnel can ensure that the relationship is appropriately disclosed in ASU’s ERA system.
Questions, contact [email protected].