The Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP) has implemented the NIH Policy on the acceptance for review of applications that request $500,000 or more in direct costs in any one budget year. Applicants must seek agreement to accept assignment from Institute/Center/Office staff at least 6 weeks prior to the anticipated submission of any application requesting $500,000 or more in direct costs for any one budget year.
The ORIP process for applicants is as follows:
- Contact and obtain ORIP agreement to accept the application assignment at least six weeks in advance of submission.
- Submit the request in writing ((e.g., a letter attached to an e-mail is acceptable) with the following information:
- Name(s) and institution(s) of PD/PI or Multiple PDs/PIs, as applicable
- Title of Project
- Anticipated submission date
- Funding Opportunity Announcement Number
- Draft of specific aims and/or a brief description of the proposed project
- Estimated direct and total costs that will be requested for each project year.
- Preliminary budget justification for $500K or more in direct costs in any one budget year of the proposed funding period
Notification of ORIP Decision
ORIP will notify the applicant in writing about its decision within 10 – 20 business days after receiving the applicant’s letter. Failure to supply adequate information will delay the process.
If approved by ORIP, include the letter of approval in a cover letter with the application.
To learn more, please visit the ORIP Issued Notice – NOT-OD-23-075.